Keeping Lilacs alive is a feat very few people have conquered. Well folks, I am one of them! I was able to keep Lilacs alive for 4 days. Now you may say "4 days, that's nothing", but when it comes to Lilacs that is an eternity! These flowers are very temperamental and they seem to give up quickly after they are cut. I have researched this a ton and basically it comes down to luck, BUT there are a few steps that may help.
1.Cut stems in the morning while the dew is still on the ground, the earlier the better!
2. Use sharp pruners to get a clean cut.
3. Put them in warm water. This opens up the stem and helps them to soak up as much water as possible!
4. Then re-cut stems under running water (this step is important).
5. Scrape the woody part of the stem off a few inches.
6. Then, finally, add 1 teaspoon of sugar to the water.
And with a little bit of luck your Lilacs MIGHT make it through to the next day.
I'm Kelsey Lee, a 24 year old Michigander, business owner, and lover of all things floral. The Sodus Blossom is my floral design co. that I have started from the ground up. Please feel free to leave a comment & follow along as The Sodus Blossom blooms and grows into something wonderful!